2.1.09

Torres del Paine Day 4: Meeting of "you know who"

Date:29.12.08/From Campamento Italiano to Campamento Chileno/21.5km/9.15am to 6pm

Day 4 was the hardest day among all the trekking, but not because of the altitude, steepness or roughness of the road, but because of the Devil wind (I named it as "you know who") I had ever met in my life.

The lovely weather continued on day 4, on the contrary of the cold and rainy in day 1 and 2, we had a clear sky and sunny weather. First, we used 2hours to trek with all our gear from Campamento Italiano to Campamento Los Cuernos, took a rest and then continue to another 11km.

Good weather on day 4.

With the good weather, we could see the on our right hand side, the Lago Nordenskjold, and our left hand side, the Cuernos del Paine and Monte Almirante Nleto.

The shore of Lago Nordenskjold.


Lago Nordenskjold.


Encounter the "chocolate cake" again.





Our first test was to cross many medium width to big river. And this big and rough river really made my legs shaking when I crossed it. And my shoes were totally soaked.

After crossing this river, all the other small rivers became nothing in my eyes.


You could do horse riding if you don't want to walk such a long distance.

My second last picture taken before the figthing with "you know who".

After 5hours of up and down walking, we were exposed to the windy area between Monte Almirante Nleto and Lago Nordenskjold. At first, we didnt find it is too difficult, just the wind would really blow my head off and there was not much trees and plants on the road.

Then when I was pushed forcefully by the wind from the back down the slope just like a sailing boat and fell down uncontrollablely, I realized that the wind was not joking to us.

When we walked further, the wind started to get stronger and stronger, and we began to stop walking when the wind was blowing crazily. Later, we even needed to knee down in order not to blow away by wind. It is really not joking, but I flew forward a few steps and rolled over my friend when the wind suddenly ascended its speed.

Finally we walked close to some brushes, and the wind turned quiet, I thought it was the end of the windy area. But then I knew it was just the start of another misery. We met two trekkers in the bushes who were coming from the opposite side, they warned us there was severe wind near the small lake, so we took the advice very seriously and prepared to fight with the wind.

At first, it was quiet, so we RAN, because we knew we would not able to move an inch when the wind started again.

And it was true, because after 5 seconds of running, we heard the wind roaring from behind and we could see the mist arose on the surface of the lake amid the slapping of the strong wind. We kneed down immediately, but found that it was not sufficient to save ourselves from the wind, so the only way we could do was lying down on the ground totally and pushed ourselves downward as much as we could.

I could tell while the wind ascended to its strongest, it was over 100km per hour, which was resemble to the typhoon signal no. 8 in Hong Kong.

When I looked back to the mountain behind, I found it looked like a devil opening its mouth blowing out the air forcefully and his eyes were completely angry. The strangest thing was when I said he was a devil, the wind started to blow severely.

As I was so piss off by the crazy wind, I shouted, "Let dry my shoes!"(as it was totally soaked). And the wind really began to blow strongly instantly and non-stop. Then I realized this special wind was really devil and I should not joke with him.

So later I kept saying he was "you know who" and begged him let us pass his sphere of power.

I almost risked my life to take this picture during the slapping of the devil wind. Did he look like a devil?

1km for us took us ages to cross, when we finally survived from the "you know who" and came to a small river, I found my face was totally covered by soil, my shirt was filled with small stones and my hands were scratched.

But it was not the end of our trekking, while we were exhausted, we still needed to trek uphill to Campamento Torres to set our camp. After we walked uphill for 500m and saw a campsite, we were too happy to set our camp and then found that it was not Torres, but Campamento Chileno. But as we were too tired, so we decided to move the next day.

When I think about this day and talked about it, I think it was really a funny experience. And after I talked with some trekkers who trek the same route on that day, I found we were "super lucky" to encounter "you know who". As they said they didnt meet any problem on the road and the weather was very good. Only when we talked with those trekkers who trekked in similar hours with us had the same experience. Two big french guys said they also fell down amid the wind and scratched their legs.

沒有留言: