1.9.08

Banos - Volcan Tungurahua

An over view of Banos with the spectacular snow-capped Volcan Tungurahua(5016m, the 10st highest peak in Ecuador).

Since I felt like I ate too much, but didn't have much exercises, I went for a walk with Yaseen to the Las Antenas. From where we could have a nice over view of the whole Banos.

Originally, the day we went for trekking was overcast. So when we started walking from 8.30 in the morning and until 1pm when we reached near the top, we still couldn't see the real face of Volcan Tungurahua.

But it was really a great day, we were sitting on the grass near the top of the mountain, looking at the cloudy Volcan and having ramdom talks about everything.

Even though the trek to the top bought us into troubles of encountering with crazy dogs. I was so scared on the way, I still remembered the crazy dog bited my friend in San Pablo in Otavalo. Luckily, we successfully scared a dog away by throwing stone to it.

I though I would not have a chance to meet the peak of Tungurahua until I left Banos, because Banos had been overcasted by almost 5 days.

But luckily, the next day turned out to be a sunny and clear day! Once I got up, I was so excited by the clear blue sky, so I just called Yaseen to be ready faster, then we could go to the mountain to catch the peak again(because you can't see the Tungurahua by climbing up). In order to save the time and hope we could climb up the mountain before it would be cloudy again, we rented a quadbike(8USD per hour) to go up the Las Antenas again.

Finally, we were lucky to see the peak of Volcan Tungurahua.




Tungurahua is an active volcano in Banos, 2 years ago, it started to erupt and a tourist and a guide were killed by falling rocks when they were climbing up to the mountain.

Though it is dangerous, the people still living here. And the volcano has even become the attractions of all the tourists from the world. And I was 'lucky' enough not seeing any lava or red stones falling down.

The scenic view along the road up to Las Antenas.


Our quadbike at the top of Las Antenas.

I love my little room upstair in Hotel Belen. At first I felt like I was a maid living at the corner of a house, but it turns out to be very quiet and peaceful.

沒有留言: